7.16.2019

Process of a Foreign Student Finding a Korean Home

Hi I’m Cristina from Dominican Republic and I’m currently studying Psychology at Ewha Womans University. These days I’m realizing that more people comes and goes to this very city, Seoul, Korea with different reasons, but I believe that those reasons comes from curiosity and wanting to experience a domestic, fun Korean lifestyle. So today, I would like to give some tips to you guys who are looking for a place to stay during your visit in Korea!


Ewha Womans University

I know how overwhelming it is to look for a place in a new environment, specially in a place where you’ve never been or would like to try to live the same place in a different atmosphere and perspective. I hope that my experience on this area will help you out and narrow down your options for your new Korean home!




First of all, I went into very different sources to look for places in Sinchon, Seoul, since the place is in the middle of all the places that a university student can look for, there were so many options to look at. I asked my friends and they all told me diverse informations, I was basically overloaded with too much information. So I decided to narrow it down by defining my term of ‘home’ and in what kind of home I look at myself living in.




I call a place ‘home’ when it is somewhere I definitely know that I’ll feel safe, cozy, and feel like I’ll make memorables days with good people around me. And from experience, having people around you actually helps you to find a good pace in a new place too. So considering all of these factors, I started to look into various houses that somewhat matches to my definition of ‘home’. To my surprise, there were a lot of places that matched, but a lot of them were expensive (considering my personal budget pocket hehe) and I had to spend extra expenses on other payments and as an university student, I wanted a place where it was a reasonable price that could cover every other expenses. Then I found 42SHARE.


On my way home from Ewha

42SHARE had given me the best opportunity to live my Korean life at another level. Specially, thanks to the common facilities they provide, I could meet a lot of friends with a common goal: have the best fun in Korea. We went to school together, and come home together, which was a nice and fun pattern since I like the little things like the walks that I had with my friends. We made our own domestic Korean lifestyle, which is something I will always remember, I mean, it was our unique thing, and those are unforgettable, ain’t I right?

My favorite cafe located right in the middle of school and home


The small things like those kept accumulating as time passed, and without me trying anything, I realized that this place had become my home. I’d become attached to this place and felt so safe since I had my routines based on this place and my people were here. It was indeed the best choice I have made for my first time living here in Korea.


*This article is written by Park Jaewon who is studying as a foreigner and a Korean who experienced Seoul Student Housing42SHARE